Mary Bethune fought to be educated in a time when few African American children had access to books. She became a teacher, eventually opening a school of her own in Daytona for children of the African American railroad workers. The Daytona Normal and Industrial School for Negro Girls opened in 1904 with six students. The years went by and the school grew, merging with Cookman Institute in 1928 to become Bethune-Cookman College. Mary Bethune was president of the college for 14 years, growing it to over 2000 students.