TRAILS is an electronic index that is part of the Hillsborough County Public Library Cooperative's catalog that can help you find death notices, obituaries, funeral notices, and local history articles that appeared in historical editions of local newspapers. These include:
- The Tampa Tribune (1899-1990)
- Assorted state and local newspapers (1855-1898)
- Tampa Bay area history
- Florida history
Volunteers are currently adding obituaries from Tampa's African-American newspaper, the Florida Sentinel Bulletin.
An index listing typically includes the name of the person and a reference to the year, month, and day on which one of these death-related notices appeared in the newspaper. Using this information, you can locate the notice using the microfilm of the newspapers available at the John F. Germany Public Library in downtown Tampa or at the University of South Florida (USF) Tampa Library. You can print the obituary, save the image to a flash drive, or email the image to whatever email address you choose.
2. Select the box titled Learning & Research
3. Scroll down to the section titled Popular, select Genealogy & HIstory
4. Scroll down to the section titiled Other Resources, select TRAILS
In the example below, we entered Milton, Gloria; 1940 to locate any information about this person who died in 1940. The surname alone could have been entered, and the date is not required. The more keyword information entered, the narrower the search that will be conducted and the fewer results that will be displayed.
The search results are shown below:
By clicking on either the hyperlink (Milton, Gloria Christine; 1940) or the Full Display button, the index record is displayed, as shown below:
The information displayed tells you that the item was published by the [Author] Tampa Tribune and that it is available on microfilm. The Title of this entry is Milton, Gloria Christine in 1940. The Notes area tells:
- when the index entry was added to TRAILS (22 March 1997);
- the date of the Tampa Tribune issue (1940 4 23 indicates that the publication date was April 23, 1940); and
- it is a Funeral Notice (F.N.) that was published on page 2 of the newspaper.
- The subject classification for this index entry is Deaths.
There are newspapers, scrapbooks, and other historical materials referenced in the TRAILS database. Please ask the library staff for assistance with locating and accessing the materials.