Immigration — Which Port? When? Why? From Where?
January 4, 2020 @ 10:15 am - 12:30 pm EST
Unless your ancestors were Native Americans, they were immigrants and as genealogists and family historians, we want to find a record of their arrival. Our success depends on the time frame and what we already know about our ancestor. This lecture will put into perspective what records are available and the likelihood of finding an immigration record. Which port? When? Why? From where? Questions surround the immigrants that made us all Americans. If you’ve worked your way back to your immigrant ancestor, this lecture will help you find the spot from which he left and the spot on which he landed.
- The Push and Pull of Immigration
- History of Passenger Lists
- What You Need to Know to Search Passenger Lists Creating the Research Plan
- They Came Through Ellis Island! (Or Did They?) Emigration Lists and Passports
- What if They Came before 1820?